Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
The Department of Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics came into existence since the inception of the institute in 1985. It deals with diagnosis, treatment planning and restoration of teeth to reproduce esthetics and function. It also deals with smile designing, esthetic dentistry which includes bleaching of teeth, laminates and veneers. Endodontics is a branch which deals with root canal treatment and periapical surgeries.
An important aspect is that the department has enthusiastic, highly qualified and dedicated staff. The expertise and clinical experience of staff is par excellence. They have carried out and guided various major research projects with grants from not only the University but also from Nationalized grant schemes. The same high quality research and clinical skills have been published in various international and national journals.
- To give an output of excellent future clinicians & academicians with equally motivated treatment impartation for patients.
- To be on the progressing front with respect to research in the subject, student training and quality of treatment rendered to the patients.
- To impart the highest quality of education to students and shape them to be good professionals with credibility, integrity and ethical conscience
- To bring out high standards in teaching and learning with more focus on problem based learning & evidence based dentistry.
- To provide quality treatment using state-of-the-art instruments and equipments with equal care & compassion towards the patients
Research Thrust Areas
- Saliva as a biomarker in dental caries
- Prevention of caries and radiation caries
- Dental stem cell culture
Prof. Dr. Mithra N. Hegde
- Dabur sanctioned project titled “Saliva as a biomarker to study the effect and antioxidant potential of medicated toothpaste in oral cavity.” in 2019 INR 16,80,000
- Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS) sanction of the President for the captioned project for three years beginning 2014-2018 for the project Title: “Effect of Radiation on Enamel and Dentin of endodontically treated teeth.” INR 20,05,900
- ICMR Senior Research Fellow ship titled “Comparative Evaluation of saliva and dental caries in HIV +ve patients – as in vivo study”. Letter No. 3/1/(15) oral /10/NCD-II dated 29/11/2010 of Indian Council of Medical Research Ansari Nagar, Post Box 4911, New Delhi – 110 1029 Rs. 9,24,000
- Vision Group on Science And Technology, Department of informative technology, Biotechnology and Science and Technology (Letter NoVGCT/P-10/ SPICE 2011-2012/1069 dated 3rd October 2011 ) has awarded a research grant to the Project titled: “Altered salivary and serum biomarkers in dental caries disease” .
- Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS) sanction of the President for the captioned project for three years beginning 2011-2012 for the project Title : “Modulatory effect of radiation on restorative and endodontic materials of Rs. 16,91,000/- No. 211/34/23/BRN/0597 dt. 31/5/2011
The training for various treatment options starts with training the students on simulators under magnification. The department has a huge phantom-head laboratory with simulators and complete assembly for appropriate training concerned with different treatment modalities.
The department has fully equipped, two clinical sections; one for undergraduate students with basic treatment facilities and the other for postgraduate students wherein all advanced treatments are provided. The department has all advanced gadgets like Digital radiography, Dental operating microscope, Endosonics, Laser, LED light curing units, Physiodispensor, piezosurgery unit, various latest obturating systems like Thermafil, Guttaflow , Calamus, Elements . It also has a well-equipped isolated operatory for microsurgical and micro endodontic procedures. There is a well-equipped ceramic and casting laboratory too.
The postgraduate students and faculty members provide speciality service to five rural satellite centres every week.
Programs Conducted by the Department
Organized The 2nd South Zonal Conference 2019 – Zone 4 In Association With Indian Association Of Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics (IACDE) And Association Of Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics- Karnataka At T.M.A Pai Convention Hall, Mangaluru From 9-10th August 2019.
Organization And Celebration Of “Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics Day” On 5th March Every Year In Association With Indian Association Of Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics (IACDE) And Association Of Conservative Dentistry And Endodontics- Karnataka At A.B. Shetty Institute Of Dental Sciences, Nitte [Deemed To Be University] Comprising Of Intercollege Scientific Paper , Poster And Table Clinic Competitions To Create Speciality Awareness Amongst The General Public As Well As Students.
5th March 2017 - Forum Fiza Mall, Mangaluru
5th March 2018 - Glass House, ABSMIDS Campus
5th March 2019 - A B Shetty Memorial Institute Of Dental Sciences
5th March 2020 - City Centre Mall, Mangaluru
Prof. Dr. Mithra N Hegde
- Stephen Cohen Oration award at the Indian Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics National Conference held at Mumbai in 2019.
- Best Scientific Paper award – Faculty at Indian Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics National Conference held at Vijayawada in 2018.
- Has been recognized as a Member of Academy of Medical Sciences, India for her exemplary contribution to the field (MAMS 2018).
- Has received the Prestigious Outstanding Achievement Award in 2018 by Indian Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Was awarded the Scientific Reviewer Award-Best Scientific Reviewer by Contemporary Clinical Dentistry Editorial Board in 2018.
- Was awarded the Academic Excellence Award in 2016 by Indian Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
- Was awarded the Women Dentist Achiever of the year awarded by Indian Dental Association and Women Dental Council (2010).
- Received the Dr. J.G. Kannappan Award by the International Association for Dental Research and Indian Society for Dental Research 2013.
- Received the Dentist Excellence Award 2013 Instituted by Indian Dentist Research and Review
- Is the recipient of highest Civilian Award in the field of medicine- Karnataka Rajyotsava Award in 2011