The Department of Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics came into existence since the inception of the institute in 1985. It deals with diagnosis, treatment planning and restoration of teeth to reproduce esthetics and function. It also deals with smile designing, esthetic dentistry which includes bleaching of teeth, laminates and veneers. Endodontics is a branch which deals with root canal treatments and periapical surgeries.
The provision of various treatment options starts with, training the students on simulators. The department has a huge phantom-head laboratory with simulators and complete assembly for appropriate training concerned with different treatment modalities.
The department has fully equipped, two clinical sections; one for undergraduate students with basic treatment facilities and the other for postgraduate students wherein all advanced treatments are provided.The department has all advanced gadgets like Digital radiography, Dental operating microscope, Endosonics, Laser, LED light curing units, Physiodispensor, piezosurgery unit, various latest obturating systems like Thermafil, Guttaflow , Calamus, Elements etc. It also has a well equipped isolated operatory for microsurgical and micro endodontic procedures.There is a well equipped ceramic and casting laboratory too.
An important aspect is that the department has enthusiastic, highly qualified & dedicated staff. The expertise and clinical experience of staff is par excellence.They have carried out and guided various major research projects with grants from not only the University but also from Nationalised grant schemes.The same high quality research and clinical skills have been published in various international & national journals.
The main aim & concern of the department is to give an output of excellent future clinicians & academicians with equally motivated treatment impartation for patients. The department is always on a progressing front with respect to research in the subject, student training and quality of treatment rendered to the patients. Another important aspect about the department is, utmost importance & care is given to sterilization of instruments. The students carry out meticulous maintenance & sterilization of instruments everyday and prior to every case.
DEPARTMENT ACHIEVEMENTS (2004-2014)
- To bring out high standards in teaching and learning with more focus on problem based learning & evidence based dentistry.
- To provide quality treatment using state-of-the-art instruments and equipment with equal care & compassion towards the patients.
1. BDS: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
(Four years + 1 year of compulsory rotating internship)
2. M. D. S.: Master of Dental Surgery
(3 years course)
3. PhD: Doctor of Philosophy: Full time, Part time
TEACHING AND TRAINING PROGRAMME
- I BDS: Orientation & Bridge course for 15 days
- II BDS: Spoken English language, evaluation and bridge courses Preclinical classes/theory classes
- III BDS: Clinical postings/theory classes
- IV BDS:Part I Clinical postings/theory classes with demonstration of
instruments and operative / endodontic procedures.
Part II :-
- V BDS: Advanced tutorials in clinical dentistry For II, III, IV & V BDS
- Tutorial classes for academically weak students
- The teaching plan for the entire year, and the distribution according to topic-wise/ lecture-wise/reference books/ index is given to the students
- A clinical demonstration/discussion follows every lecture during clinical postings
Internship: 12 months of General clinical dentistry.
- The department offers full time postgraduate study over a period of three years, which is specialized and beyond he scope of general practice, with emphasis on restoration of appearance, occlusal form & function, esthetic dentistry, full mouth rehabilitation, endodontic therapies & surgeries.
- Seminars, journal clubs, discussions, special case presentations evaluated by each staff member using evaluation proforma
Participation in conferences, workshops, PG conventions and CDE programs
Problem based learning in small groups is done for undergraduate students by the postgraduates
Teaching modules to be developed by the postgraduates.
Maintenance of log books
1. PROF.(DR.)MITHRA N HEGDE BDS,MDS,Ph.D. PROFESSOR & H.O.D
2. PROF.(DR.)ASHWITHA PUNJA BDS,MDS PROFESSOR
3. PROF.(DR.)DARSHANA DEVADIGA BDS,MDS PROFESSOR
4. PROF.(DR.)SHISHIR SHETTY BDS,MDS, Ph.D. PROFESSOR
5. DR.ADITYA SHETTY BDS,MDS ,Ph.D ADD.PROF
6. DR.GOWRISH S BDS,MDS READER
7. DR.MAHALAXMI B. YELAPURE BDS,MDS READER
8. DR.CHITHARANJAN SHETTY BDS,MDS LECTURER
9. DR.TONY MATHEW BDS,MDS LECTURER
10. DR.SHRUTHI H. ATTAVAR BDS, MDS LECTURER
11. DR.RAKSH BHAT BDS,MDS LECTURER
12 DR UPASANA JAYARAM REDDY BDS,MDS LECTURER
13 DR TEENA S D'SOUZA BDS,MDS LECTURER
14 DR LAKSHMI NIDHI RAO BDS,MDS LECTURER
15 DR LITTY VARGHESE BDS,MDS LECTURER
Head of the Department
PROF. (DR.) MITHRA N. HEGDE,BDS, MDS. PHD
SENIOR PROFESSOR & HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT
Department of Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
A.B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences
College Phone No. (0824) 2204963, Mobile No. 9845284411.
Email id: email@example.com
PROFESSOR (DR.) PRIYADARSHINI HEGDE
- Recipient of Karnataka state, Kannada Rajyotsava Award in the Field of Medicine (2011)
- Graduated with Bachelor of Dental Surgery and Masters of Dental Surgery with TMA Pai Gold Medal and Colgate Gold Medal (1989), Mangalore University
- Recipient of Dentist excellence award 2013 Instituted by Indian Dentist Research and Review on July 2013
- Recipient of DR. J.G. KANNAPPAN AWARD for the Best Scientific Paper Published in the IJDR 2013 a Pubmed Indexed Journal awarded by the International Association for Dental Research and Indian Society for Dental Research (India Division) at New Delhi on Oct. 2013
- Was awarded Best outgoing student of the state by Indian Dental Association, Karnataka state branch (1990)
- Was awarded Best outgoing student of the college and also the Blue ribbon of the college (1989)
- Passed all four years of Bachelor of Dental Surgery with Ranks and Distinction.
- Recipient of “Chikitsak Life Time Achiever’s Award”- awarded by the Economic for Health and Educational Growth-New Delhi for excellence in their respective field (2009)
- Recipient Fellowship of International College of Dentists (U.S.A.- 2011)
- Recipient Fellowship of Pierre Fauchard Academy (U.S.A.- 2002)
- Recipient of Women Dentist Achiever of the year. The award is awarded by Indian Dental Association and Women Dental Council (2010)
- Recipient of Bunt’s Sangha Award for the Best performance in the field of Medicine.(1992) and Bunts Sangha Award for Excellency in Dentistry 2011
- Authored a “Complete Textbook on Endodontics” and 25 handbooks of recent concepts in Dentistry.
- Prof.(Dr.)Mithra N. Hegde is in teaching since 24 years at A.B.Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Science.
- Prof. (Dr.) Mithra N. Hegde guided 25 Postgraduate students and has co-guided 112 postgraduate students.
- Prof.(Dr.)Mithra N.Hegde is a recognized PhD guide of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and Nitte University with 3 completed candidates and 3 Registered candidates
- Has to her credit 11 completed Indian Council of Medical Research STS Projects and One Government of Karnataka, Vision Group on Science Technology Project
- Completed 2 major research projects- Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences on value addition of Dental Materials after electronic beam radiation.
- Research Grant of Indian Council of Medical Research - Caries status evaluation co-relation and management in 500 HIV patients in South Canara District.
- Ongoing 1 major BRNS funded project.
- Prof.(Dr.)Mithra N.Hegde has to her credit 197 National and International publications.
- Prof. (Dr.) Mithra N. Hegde has presented original research papers in 7 International Conferences and 30 National conferences.
- Prof.(Dr.)Mithra N.Hegde was also the Past President of Indian Dental Association, Dakshina Kannada Branch
- She was also Syndicate member of Mangaluru University.(2009-2011)
- Prof.(Dr.)Mithra N.Hegde is the Vice President of Association of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontist (2011-2012) & also the Vice President of Indian Endodontic Society (2011-2013)
- Member of Editorial Board of Twelve Indexed International Journals
- Prof.(Dr.)Mithra N.Hegde has been practicing dentistry for the last 24 years and has established a state of Art Dental Clinic in Mangaluru
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS: - 27 Nos
PROFESSOR (DR). DARSHANA DEVADIGA
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS: - 17 Nos
Currently Pursuing PhD under Nitte University [Registered in 2012]
PROFESSOR (DR) SHISHIR SHETTY, BDS, MDS, Ph.D
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS: - 15 Nos
DR. ADITYA SHETTY
JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS: - 32 Nos