DEPARTMENT OF PERIODONTICS
It is a branch of dentistry which deals with the study of supporting structures (Periodontium) of the tooth and with the diseases affecting the same. Diseases of the gums are almost seen in all age groups. This can manifest commonly as bleeding of the gums, known as gingivitis to more severe conditions affecting the supporting bone of the tooth called Periodontitis. If this disease is left untreated it leads to loss of tooth. Periodontics not only deals with the natural dentition but also has its responsibility towards the maintenance of health of a dental implant.
Recently, the science of Periodontia has made its entry into the esthetic world where deformities in the gum structure like gingival recession (deficiency in gum tissue); black gums (heavy melanin pigmentation on gums) are corrected to more esthetically appealing contours.
Aims & Objectives
The training program in periodontics is structured to achieve the following objectives:
To acquire adequate knowledge and understanding of the etiology, patho-physiology and diagnosis, treatment planning of various periodontal problems.
To be able to identify social, cultural, economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to disease process management in periodontal problems.
Essential knowledge of personal hygiene and infection control, prevention of cross infection and safe disposal of hospital waste keeping in view the high prevalence hepatitis and HIV.
To perform with competence minor perio-surgical procedures; to surgically and medically treat periodontal disease.
To be willing to adopt new techniques of surgical management developed from time to time based on scientific research which in the best interest of patients.
Respect patients rights and privileges, including patients’ right to information and right top seek a second opinion.
1. PROF. (DR.)BIJU THOMAS BDS, MDS,Ph.D. PROF. & H.O.D
2. PROF.(DR.)AMITHA RAMESH BDS, MDS PROFESSOR
3. PROF.(DR.)RAHUL BHANDARY BDS, MDS PROFESSOR
4. PROF.(DR.)NINA VIJAY KUMAR (Deemed to be University) BDS, MDS PROFESSOR
5. DR.SANTHOSH SHENOY BDS, MDS ADD.PROF
6. DR. AVANEENDRA TALWAR BDS, MDS READER
7. DR.PRASAD B. SHETTY BDS, MDS READER
8. DR.MAMATHA SHEKAR SHETTY BDS, MDS READER
9. DR.SMITHA SHETTY BDS, MDS READER
10. DR.AMITA RAO BDS, MDS LECTURER
11. DR.AKSHATHA SHETTY BDS,MDS LECTURER
12 DR REEMA M RAO BDS,MDS LECTURER